Sunday, December 23, 2007

SIMPLE TIMES, SWEET MEMORIES.

Wow! What a wonderful, busy day I had yesterday. After working on my transcription for a couple of hours early in the morning, doing a couple of loads of laundry, and even managing to run the vacuum cleaner, I spent several hours at Sister's Thyme helping Ms. Peggy out. The store was busy with last minute Christmas shoppers. It was a different busy than you might have found at the malls or WM, etc.. People were so pleasant and relaxed. Sister's has that effect on people, though. Peggy is so gracious and friendly and the atmosphere of the store reflects that when she is there. We went through mountains of tissue paper and endless beribboned kraft paper shopping bags. I actually think the credit card machine was breathing heavy by the end of the day. Peggy and I were able to talk between rushes, sharing dreams and fears and memories. She is preparing to embarq on her own incredible journey as she and her husband prepare to retire to Tennessee in a year or so. We were exhausted when the time came to lock the door for the day. For me at least, it was a good exhaustion. One born of hugs and smiles and endless wishes of Merry Christmas. Another memory of a wonderful day spent with a good friend to tuck away in my archives.

Last night was our choir Christmas party. For some reason my heart just wasn't in it. I've been craving simpler, more intimate holiday celebrations this year. We decided to forego the party and instead asked friends if they'd like to join us for dinner at Greensides, a local restaurant with a very calm, quiet atmosphere. I am so very glad we chose to have a party for four as our celebration last night. We had such a sweet time of fellowship with our friends. We were all able to sit back and relax and enjoy each other's company. There was no noise or confusion. We talked and laughed and enjoyed a wonderful meal together. Somehow, I think this is the way Christmas celebrations are meant to be. Simple times spent with people we love. Taking time to remember why we are celebrating this holiday season.

I came across a sweet blog yesterday called Cherub Wishes. I think it must have been devine intervention, because I had clicked on another link, but was sent here instead. This sweet lady has posted I Corinthians 13 - the Christmas version. I've included a link to her site in "my favorite blogs". I'll let you go there to read the post in its entirety, but one particular verse sums up in a nutshell the way I've been feeling:

"If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crocheted snowflakes, attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir's cantata, but do not focus on Christ, I have missed the point."

Merry CHRISTmas, my friends!

1 comment:

vintage girl at heart said...

Love your new header, that picture is amazing!!! Also went to the Cherub site and you are right!!! Her blog speaks volumes!!! I have printed it out and am going to post it around the house to remind me about alot of things!!! We are all Truly Blessed!!
Glad you had a busy day and a nice dinner w/ friends........